Chanukah started the Wednesday after Thanksgiving, and I had the supreme good fortune of staying with a family in Rabat that is Jewish (the same family I was with for Rosh Hashanah). I brought with me my chanukiah, candles, siddur, and Fauve.
The menorah Elsa gave me <3
Someday I'll live some place where I can actually put it in a window.
Two other volunteers were staying there throughout the week and it was a great time. The daughter also has a tradition of explaining to her class the story of Chanukah every year and bringing latkes so we also got to help make latkes. And just for us, I also made rice krispie treats. I can’t even tell you the last time I had a rice krispie treat…
It’s just lovely being in real houses. With real adults who have real jobs and are doing real things and speak English and are full of wonderful advice about everything and are eager to dispense it.
Chanukah was a great 8 days. After Rabat Fauve and I spent the weekend in Marrakech on our way home. We went straight from the train station to my favorite Indian restaurant and had a GREAT meal and split a bottle of rosé. The next day we visited the artisanal where the business volunteers were having a market displaying their association/coop’s crafts
I bought this striped scarf, handmade, hand dyed, wool, 100dh
we ate ice cream for brunch :)
and there happened to be a film festival we stumbled upon. Keanu Reeves was hosting the festival and we wound up stumbling upon the opening words before they showed Speed (yes, 1992’s Speed, I kid you not).
And we were super close. As far as being in a crowd goes.
We had a great time all throughout the weekend and really, I couldn’t have asked for a better week(ish).





No comments:
Post a Comment